Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

28 March 2024 09:33

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: JP
Subject: Can anyone identify this gyroscope
Question: Hi,

I got an old gyroscope from army. It came with an wooden box as the gyroscope was attached to it. I'm not sure how old this is, I really don't understand much of these but I would love to. Inside the box there's a stamp stating that it has been maintained by the army 1967. Inside the box there's also a text I think could be a model; T/46.

I would love to know more about this item. I can send picture If you'd like to.

The gyroscope looks pretty much like this one in the link below:

http://www.muzej-rijeka.hr/torpedo/slike/ziroskop4.jpg

Kind Regards

Jari-Pekka

Finland
Date: 24 February 2015
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn Turner - 24/02/2015 23:59:46
 It is probably a torpedo gyroscope. I don't recognise the maker but it is typical of the style and type of gyroscope.

Age could be anything between 1900 and 1950. From around 1950 electric gyros started to take over.However it is very likely some of these remained with some armed services until much later. That would explain the 1967.

If was used by the army I can only think of a few reason that an army would have it. It could have been used in a tank as modern tanks have gyroscopes to gun the gun level while driving.
May a firm adapted an existing torpedo gyro for an army use.

Report Abuse
Answer: JP - 25/02/2015 08:21:00
 Thank you for your quick reply Glenn!

Is it normal there's no name of the maker on the gyro? Is there any other way to find out where this was made? There's also some number stamped on the gyro, maybe a serial number or similar.

I would also like to know what this could be worth

Sorry for all the million questions!

Kind Regards

Jari-Pekka

Finland

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Turner - 25/02/2015 09:50:54
 Hi,

It is quite normal not to have the makers name on them. They usually have a serial number and often more detail on the wooden box.

In terms of value anything from £100 to £1000. Some people/shops in the UK try to sell them for £1000 but often selling for less in the end. I think £1000 is only obtainable if the history of the gyroscope is known and linked to some interesting history,

£300 is a more realistic price. At £100 it should sell very quickly.

Report Abuse
Answer: JP - 25/02/2015 11:08:07
 Hi,

Ok good to know!

Thanks for your good answers!

Jari-Pekka

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products