Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

29 April 2024 11:41

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Glenn Hawkins
Subject: Answer me a riddle
Question:
Hello fellows,

Three flywheels are mounted on the same shaft, separated from one another by a distance of 1mm. They are exactly alike, except the center wheel is doubly heavy and weighs as much as the two outer wheels combined. The center wheel rotates clockwise as the two outside wheels both rotate counter clockwise. The distant end of the shaft sits on a pivot. As the wheels are dropped from 45 degrees below top dead center, what will happen?

I hope you are all well and happy today and you enjoy this,
Glenn,
Date: 23 May 2013
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 29/05/2013 05:39:30
 A lack response reveals to me that you have all reasoned not one, but two scenarios I am aware of, two master plains to explain why your gyroscope does not fall, but that you were unable to determine which master plain was correct. ; - )

Good fortune to you all and may the wind be always at your back
Glenn,

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 09/06/2013 03:57:45
 OK, nothing happens. It drops like a stone. The resistance to outward tilt and inward tilt causes precession, not lift support. Precession as it circles is like tilting in the horizontal and that causes lift support. Tilting causes precession. Precession cause lift. Lift meets gravity and is, or can be only slightly less than equilibrium, force to force. That is why your gyroscope dose not fall, but holds up for a relatively long time.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products